Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Lost Weekend

Sometimes we all have days like I experienced this weekend.

Friday morning I had a good swim with the local Master's group and went to work when my stomach started to do flips. And not in a good way. A couple of yak sessions later, I decided to head home early. With a temp of 101 measured later that night, I wasn't much in the mood for anything except a whole lot of sleep. Good thing I worked my swim in early.

Saturday was better, Kristen and I went down to the Hyde Park Street Fair and enjoyed the idiosyncrasies of the North End. I still wasn't much for eating anything, so my pitcher of Gatorade was my temporary best friend. I was able to mow the lawn in the evening, so at least I wasn't getting worse.

Sunday was supposed to be a good 20+ miler three weeks before City of Trees. I settled for an easy 9 miler at about 8:00 pace, a good bit slower than the "typical" long run tempo, but still relaxed and not stressed. I was just happy to get out for a few miles at any pace.

Still feeling queasy for today's morning speed session, I opted for the 4x1200m with one lap recovery. I knew on the first repeat it wasn't going to be my morning, but I stuck with it and finished the workout a good piece slower than I could have on a "better" day. Maybe I'll start feeling more like my running self in a couple of days.

On a different note, I finally picked up my new Adidas Supernova Controls. I must say, I'm impressed, they feel quite a bit lighter than the previous version with a more glove-like fit. I've always been an Asics man, but now I finally have a shoe I think I can rotate in on a regular basis.

As for the Twin Falls Triathlon, lack of participation has forced the cancellation for this year. So that will effectively end the triathlon season, though there is still the Hidden Springs Duathlon on Sept. 27th. This will be only my 2nd duathlon, well, ever, and the first wasn't out of choice since the swim was canceled and turned into a 5K run. I need that swim to make up for the time that I lose on the bike! We'll see what happens...

No comments: